Read the Docs: Documentation Simplified¶
Read the Docs simplifies software documentation by automating building, versioning, and hosting of your docs for you. Think of it as Continuous Documentation.
- Never out of sync
- Whenever you push code to your favorite version control system, whether that is Git, Mercurial, Bazaar, or Subversion, Read the Docs will automatically build your docs so your code and documentation are always up-to-date.
- Multiple versions
- Read the Docs can host and build multiple versions of your docs so having a 1.0 version of your docs and a 2.0 version of your docs is as easy as having a separate branch or tag in your version control system.
- Free and open source
- Read the Docs is free and open source and hosts documentation for nearly 100,000 large and small open source projects in almost every human and computer language.
Are you new to software documentation or are you looking to use your existing docs with Read the Docs? Learn about documentation authoring tools such as Sphinx and MkDocs to help you create fantastic documentation for your project.
Getting started with Read the Docs¶
Learn more about configuring your automated documentation builds and some of the core features of Read the Docs.
- Overview of core features: Read the Docs features
- Configure your documentation: Configuration reference | Webhooks | Badges | Custom domains
- Connecting with GitHub, BitBucket, or GitLab: Connecting your account
- Read the Docs build and versioning process: Build process | Handling multiple docs versions
- Troubleshooting: Support | Frequently asked questions
Advanced features of Read the Docs¶
Read the Docs offers many advanced features and options. Learn more about these integrations and how you can get the most out of your documentation and Read the Docs.
- Advanced project configuration: Subprojects | Single version docs | Privacy levels
- Multi-language documentation: Translations and localization
- Redirects: User defined redirects | Automatic redirects
- Topic specific guides: How-to guides
- Extending Read the Docs: REST API
The Read the Docs project and organization¶
Learn about Read the Docs, the project and the company, and find out how you can get involved and contribute to the development and success of Read the Docs and the larger software documentation ecosystem.
- Getting involved with Read the Docs: Contributing | Roadmap | Google Summer of Code | Code of conduct
- The people and philosophy behind Read the Docs: Team | Open source philosophy | Our story
- Financial and material support: Advertising | Sponsors
- Read the Docs for business: Support and additional features
- Running your own version of Read the Docs: Private installations